Saturday, April 5, 2014

New Look 6123

Pin ItI'm thinking I need to get a tripod and a camera remote if I'm ever to blog regularly. I've a backlog of things to blog about but everytime I seem to try and take photos they never work out. Luckily today the weather was good and I was able to rope one of my friends who was visiting to help me. 



I've just started my general medicine rotation and was able to finish this dress off during my half day. I finished my emergency medicine rotation about two weeks ago, and promptly caught gastroenteritis requiring hospitalisation thereafter; but I'm better now and have boundless empathy for my patients. 




I had to make a few adjustments to this dress as it was clearly made with a taller person in mind. I did however manage to keep the darts on the bodice and the skirt aligned which always makes it look that much nicer. I'm trying a new thing where I keep a notebook of my pattern alterations so I know for next time what I need to do. I'll probably do a muslin of my new bodice once I copy those edits onto my paper pattern piece. I know some people aren't a fan of pdf patterns, but since I already copy my tissue patterns to paper before  transferring them to fabric, pdf patterns reduce a lot of prep time. 




I had to change from a 20 inch invisible zip to a 24 inch normal zip for the back so I'd be able to fit the dress over my booty. Also my kick pleat is getting a lot of use clearly, I promise I did iron it before I wore it ... yesterday, before a full day of work. 


I bagged and lined my dress instead of using facings as I used broadcloth fabric which is a bit on the sheer side in sunlight. I also had to hand stitch the sleeves in to set them. I ended up tucking the bottom of the sleeves in, instead of leaving them out, flap like as per the original pattern.

Pattern Description: 2 in 1 pattern, sheath dress and wrap front dress, with additional ruffle front details.

Pattern Sizing: 8 - 18  

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yep  

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't follow the instructions but they were organised in an easy to understand manner.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The smallest pattern size was an 8 and was too big on me. The dress required a few alterations so I wouldn't recommend it beginners. I like the style and fit of the dress. 

Fabric Used: Broadcloth and rayon lining.  

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I changed the sleeve style but used the same flange pattern by tucking the ends of the flange in to the bodice. I also bagged and lined the dress instead of using facings using this tutorial (http://www.sewmelove.com/2011/10/tutorial-how-to-sew-lining-in.html). I took in the bodice darts 0.5 inch each. Took in the sides of the bodice 1 inch each. Took the bodice up by 2 inches and took 2 inches from the top of the skirt. I also added in side seam pockets.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm definitely planning on sewing this dress again. It's a great work dress and would recommend it to others. 

Happy crafting!
Mel

1 comment:

  1. Hoy he descubierto tu blog y me encanta! Estoy disfrutando como una loca. Este vestido es precioso. Felicidades

    Vero

    ReplyDelete