Hiccuping Chiffon Cakes


So I probably haven't had chiffon cake for years. My mum used to buy them from the Asian grocery store when I was younger and I used to love the odd colour and the texture.



Last year I was looking for something to bake mum for mother's day and stumbled upon this pandan chiffon cake recipe by The Little Teochew and it was amazing.

The only thing is I never know what  to do with a whole can of coconut milk once I've opened it, so this time I made 3 pandan chiffon cakes in a go to solve that problem. 

Don't worry, I did give some of them away and not eat them all myself. But I still did get hiccups. I pretty much always get hiccups when I eat pandan chiffon cake, and it's basically due to my greedy nature, the cakes are so soft and fluffy, and I inevitably cut a larger-than-decent-for-a-single-person-slice and eat it to quickly, thus the hiccups. So as long a you're pacing yourself you'll be ok. Definitely worth the hiccups if you don't though.


Recipe
22-cm chiffon cake tin, mine's aluminum (you need a fluted cake pan that's NOT non-stick; i.e. chiffon cake forms it's skin by sticking to the pan and in a non-stick pan it just won't work) 
Check out my ombre cast iron pot (it was 85% off RRP)
Ingredients A
- 7 egg yolks
- 75g coconut milk
- 4g pandan essence/ concentrated fresh pandan extract
- 150g cake flour (low gluten flour) - found in Asian groceries stores


- 4g baking powder (1 scant tsp)
- 75g caster sugar
- 3g salt
- 83g vegetable oil

Ingredients B
- 7 egg whites
- 100 g sugar

I separate my eggs one by one by using a smaller bowl before transferring the egg white into the bowl that will be used for whipping the whites, just in case I need to rescue egg shells pieces from the whites 

1. Preheat oven to 160°C fanforced.

2. Combine egg yolks, coconut milk and pandan extract in a mixing bowl. Double sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture and sugar into the bowl. Add vegetable oil and whisk everything to combine.



3. In a separate and clean bowl, beat egg whites and sugar together till it forms soft peaks.

4. Slowly fold egg white into egg yolk mixture in 3-4 additions.


** a glass bowl is best for folding the mixture into as you can see how well you are doing



5. Pour cake mixture into an ungreased tube pan.

6. Bake for 45 minutes.

7. Flip the pan upside down against a bottle on kitchen counter and let cool for 25-30 minutes/until the pan is warm to touch without a mitt. If your pan has feet you won't need a bottle. 


8. Using a butter knife flatten it between the side of the cake and the tin and run it all the way around. Loosen the outer ring of the chiffon pan. Now use the knife to loosen the base of the cake pan from the cake. 

 


Orange Chiffon Cake



I also made an orange chiffon cake as per Rasa Malaysia's recipe, which was a bit different to my tried and true pandan chiffon recipe but it still worked out really well.

The key difference was that the egg whites had to be whipped to stiff peaks and it rose a lot more than the pandan chiffon.  

 

Ingredients:

7 Egg yolks
50g (¼ cup) Caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
4 Tbsp Cooking oil
2 Tbsp Grated orange rind (about two oranges worth)
60ml (4 Tbsp) Orange juice
110g (4 oz) Cake flour (low gluten flour)
 

7 Egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
130g (2/3 cup) Caster sugar
Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 160C/325F.
  2. To make egg yolk batter, beat egg yolks with sugar till pale, then add in salt and oil, mix briefly till looks like mayonnaise.
  3. Add in grated orange rind, orange juice and orange colouring (I omitted) and mix well. Fold in sieved flour until forms batter.
  4. To make egg white foam, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
  5. Gently fold beaten egg white foam into egg yolk batter in 3 batches until fully combined. (Do not overmix)
  6. Pour batter into ungreased tube pan.
  7. Bake in preheated oven 50 minute.
  8. Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert the pan (turn upside down) and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. Let cool completely before removing the cake from pan.
  9. To remove cake from pan, run a thin bladed knife or a palette knife around the side of the pan and center core, release the cake and run the knife along the base of the pan to remove cake.


mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try to bake this cake - it looks magical!

    ReplyDelete