Thursday, September 26, 2013

Peplum Skirt


This peplum skirt was made about two months ago, but the photo taking part was what took the longest. 


I based it on a skirt I already had and used my skirt block but I'll need to draft a proper waistband for my skirt block instead of winging it, because everytime (total of 3 times) I've made a skirt I've needed to add darts to the waistband. 



The other thing I should not have done but couldn't help was adding side seam pockets. It added to the bulk and it's just a bit too poofy at the roundest part of my body. Although the peplum is good for disguising a stomach.



The peplum part of the skirt doesn't actually attach in the side seam. Instead of a front dart, there's a triangular bit of fabric (dart shape) between the front and back panels, and the peplum gets joined to the triangle, it makes for a nice peplum shape. 



So the issue I had with the waistband means that my skirt is lower at the top back at the waistband and looks a bit of a mess from behind.

 

The peplum is double sided and is shaped like so:


I actually wear my mistake diagonal pocket skirt the most, it's very comfy with the stretch fabric and all 3 pockets come in handy. I did learn the importance of understitching and how to use my fancy new invisible zipper foot in this skirt, so not all is lost, but definitely not a fat day skirt.


So I know this post is about 2 months late because in that time Russell has gone from looking like a smushed face polar bear soft toy lookalike with a penchant for not letting go of his giraffe at night....



To an almost 6 month puppy with a face like a real golden retriever, who leaves Russell fur tumbleweeds all over the house, gets to bag the front seat and rule the house (his dog house at least). 


Happy Crafting
Mel
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

1 comment:

  1. Great skirt! :)
    Love
    Tabea

    http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete